Happy Birthday Samson!
So – we celebrated Samson’s first birthday yesterday! I know. It’s not his ‘real’ birthday, but it’s the day we adopted him last year, so we will celebrate it as his birthday:). He got to eat lots of treats, play lots of ‘red dot’ [aka chasing the bright, flashy red laser pointer light around the apartment] and of course, he got lots of cuddles! I’m so happy we were able to adopt him last year – he has been a great addition to our family. For me, he has made the cross-country move a little bit easier, especially when I’m feeling homesick and miss my family and our pets back in Michigan [Samson’s cousins – Gandalf and Mr. Piggers!]. Call me crazy, but I really think animals can be therapeutic. Plus, they are great little companions. Cats may have their quirks, but in the end they win you over with their unique, charming personalities 🙂
So, in honor of Samson’s first birthday, here are the top five reasons why you should own a cat, and why cats are superior to dogs [sorry Mr. Piggers] :
1. Cats don’t freely give you their trust – you have to work to earn it. And when you have to earn it, you’re able to establish a better working relationship with them. Well, I guess it’s pretty easy to gain Samson’s trust – I think it’s because we adopted him at such a young age. And he just really likes people. But he’s a little bit unusual.
2. They find the best, strangest, most uncomfortable-looking, odd places to sleep, and the craziest sleeping positions. Samson is no exception to this rule. He’s all about finding that little nook to shove himself in, or that uncomfortable looking window ledge to stretch out on. His sleeping positions pretty much take the cake.
3. Cat’s [usually] aren’t as loud as dogs. I say usually, because Samson talks more than any other cat I’ve ever seen in my life. And I’ve seen a lot of cats. He meows all the time – kind of like how a dog would bark when it wants attention, or food, or whatever. But at least it’s not as loud as when a dog barks. Mr. Piggers [my parent’s dog] has been known to wake a houseful of heavily sleeping people]
4. Cats are the best cuddlers. You can try and debate me on this, but I will win 🙂 There’s just something about a warm, fuzzy, purring kitty all cuddled up next to you that soothes the soul.
5. They clean themselves. While dogs go on smelling until you find the time to give them a bath, cats just do the dirty work themselves. No worries there – they always smell fresh and clean!
So there ya have it – go and get yourself a cat today! But in all seriousness, if you are thinking about getting a cat or a dog, consider adopting him or her from an animal shelter. It wasn’t something I had really considered until we moved to Texas and I started really looking for a little kitten to bring into our family. There are so many adoption shelters out there, full of the cutest little critters you’ll ever meet. And when you adopt, you’re providing a great home to a little dude that otherwise would have to live out their lives in a shelter. And while shelters are good, they can’t possible provide the amount of attention needed to truly nurture each and every animal there. So, when you’re thinking about adding a furry addition to your family, think about adoption shelters first! We’ve had such a positive experience with our own little adopted kitty; I would recommend it to anyone 🙂 Just my two cents. See y’all later!